If you’re moving to Denver, Exodus Moving and Storage can help you when it comes to moving supplies like boxes, packing wrap, bubble wrap, and other necessary items to assist you with your move. But if you’d rather find these things on your own, there are some places that you can find boxes to help with your move.
It used to be that you could simply walk into a grocery store, ask for boxes, and take a bunch home with you. But this is no longer the case. Now, stores keep or recycle those boxes, and this means that you may not get any. So, where else can you find moving boxes? Here are some places to find boxes that you may not have thought of.
Bars, Liquor Store, and Pubs: These establishments often have a lot of extra boxes laying around. When shipments come into a bar or restaurant, boxes abound. Ask a local bar owner or pub owner if they have a few extra boxes that you can have for your move. Liquor stores deal almost exclusively in cardboard boxes, some owners will keep them for just this purpose.
Ask your friends and family members: Know someone that’s just moved, or someone that may have a few extra boxes laying around? Put a notice out on Facebook, and ask the world if they have a box or two that they can lend to you.
Check sites like Craig’s List: Some community sites may include posts from people that want to give away boxes. Often, people don’t know what to do with boxes after a move, and giving them away seems like the best possible thing. If you can’t find any for free, you may be able to buy a bunch off of someone that no longer needs them.
Check with a school in your area: Textbooks and teaching supplies come in boxes, and that means lots of leftover boxes for you to use. Ask a local school if they have a box or three that you can take.
Consider Other Options
There are other ways to pack up items that don’t involve boxes. You can use cloth packaging, or you can use reusable boxes which are a much greener option. While boxes are the norm, you don’t have to use them at all. Consider other choices that may be much more environmentally friendly, and much easier to use and find. Plus, with reusable boxes, you can simply pack them away, and use them again another day.
Our Boxes and Packing Options
At Exodus Moving and Storage, we are more than happy to provide you with boxes and other packing materials, so make sure to ask us about your options when it comes to what we have to offer. Since we’ve been moving people for many years now, we know a thing or two about packing, and we’re more than happy to help you out! Call us to ask about the packing items that we have for you–and to find out about our rates, and how we work.
When it comes to moving, we take pride and joy in making sure that our customers moves are stress free, fun, and easy to plan. That’s why we set you up with a personal moving consultant at the start of your move. From beginning to end, we are here for you. Just call us and ask about our moves, getting a free moving quote, and finding out what a moving estimate for your move looks like. We always stand behind our quotes!
We’d also love it if you would join us on Facebook, so come and let us know what you think about our boxing ideas. Have you found any places to get free boxes that aren’t included in this list? Let us know what your ideas are!
It doesn’t really matter whether you’re living in a rental or you own a home. The fact remains that wherever you’re living is your home for now, and you should love everything in it. While you may not want to sink thousands of dollars into a kitchen renovation, you can still do a lot to a kitchen to make it look amazing on a small budget. Even if you’re dealing with a super small galley kitchen, these ideas will make any kitchen space look great.
-Give your walls a face lift: If you’re looking at dark walls and dark cabinets all day, you can quickly turn around the feel inside of a kitchen by painting the walls white. Go with a white that is on the cooler side, and you’ll instantly see an amazing change.
-Think about painting your kitchen cabinets white too. Old cabinets can get a nice redo if you paint them in a stark white color.
-Look into open kitchen shelving. There are plenty of open shelving options out there from glass to wood and even iron options. The trick to making sure that open shelves look great is to keep things that you put on the shelf nice and tidy. Use glass jars, canisters, and other options to put everything in its place. If you’re going to place dishes on the shelves, try and keep them all the same color for a uniform look.
-Change the lighting in your kitchen. If you have old lights hanging, newer and brighter lights can really make a huge change.
-Think about adding a rug. A rug in a kitchen? You’d be surprised at how much life a small rug with lots of color can add! Try it out.
-Decorate with color. Instead of painting with a bright color, add some decor elements that are bright. Things like paintings, flowers, and even bright dishes can add that needed splash of color.
-Take down the melamine cabinets. If you’ve just moved into a rental with melamine cabinets, you’d be shocked at how easy these are to take down and replace. Head to a spot like Home Depot for instructions on how to do this, and pick up some cheaper cabinets at a store like Ikea.
Have No Fear
It can be a bit intimidating to tackle a project like a kitchen at first. Start with something small like painting the walls a brighter or white color, and then move on to something bigger like replacing the cabinets. Every little bit that you do will make a huge difference, and simply making a change to your kitchen can improve your living space so much! Give it a shot, and you’ll see that no matter where you move, any space can be updated to feel like the home you’ve always wanted.
Help Getting There
If you know where you want to move to, the next step is actually getting there. That’s where Exodus Moving and Storage can help. Our Fort Collins movers can help you move anywhere you want to go whether it’s down the street or across the world. Our Colorado moving company has been in business for many years now, and we’d love to help you move too. Simply give us a call, and we will provide you with a free moving estimate that we will absolutely stick by.
Moving to a new place can be a bit intimidating, especially if you don’t love the rooms in your new home, but you can turn any place into the place of your dreams with a bit of decor know-how, and some hard work. Renovating any space is also fun, and it’s a great way to get to know your neighborhood stores. Ready to move? Call Exodus today, and let us show you how simple moving really is!
There are many great reasons you should choose to hire a Colorado moving company to help you with your move. It’s much less of a hassle when you don’t have to wrangle up all of your friends with trucks, or drive the rental moving van you aren’t entirely comfortable being behind the wheel of. Some people would just rather not worry about the logistics involved with getting their belongings from point A to point B. Others rely on the moving company to deal with every aspect of the move, including packing of the boxes, in order to wash their hands of the moving chores everyone detests.
If money is tight, you might be tempted to do it all on your own. It might be a pain, but it’s doable. However, it’s not about what vehicle you’re moving those boxes and furniture in, but more a question about how you’re lifting them. Even the most in-shape person can tweak a muscle just right, knocking them out of commission for weeks.
Here’s a list of tips for those not relying on Denver movers, doing all of the heavy lifting yourself, so that you don’t end up sidelined with a move-related injury.
- Lift with your legs. You’ve probably heard this a few times in your lifetime, and for good reason – your spine and the muscles that help them do the lifting really shouldn’t be bearing the brunt of the weight. In order to keep your back happy and as pain-free as possible, bend your knees deeply and use your leg muscles when you are lifting heavy objects, keeping your spine as straight as you can.
- Engage your abs. So the only six-pack you have is waiting in the fridge for when you are done moving, but that doesn’t mean your abs aren’t important! No matter what your midsection looks like, you should be engaging those all-important core muscles whenever you are lifting something, heavy or not. Just like lifting with your legs, engaging the most muscles as you can will help lighten the load for your back muscles and spine.
- Hold them close. Your body is an effective machine for moving, but only when used properly. When you lift a box or heavy item, holding the item as closely as possible to your body is the best way to ensure you avoid injury. Keep your feet apart, spread in a wide stance. This will help your spine and neck.
- Don’t push it. You probably have a pretty good idea of your capabilities in terms of lifting things. However, for some reason, certain people get it in their heads they are Superman/Superwoman, and can all of a sudden heft heavy items like a champ despite not normally being capable of such feats. When you try to move objects that you know full well you shouldn’t be lifting on your own, you increase the chances of injuring yourself dramatically. Get help – whether from family members, friends, neighbors, or even full service moving companies. Better safe than sorry! And just because you can lift heavy boxes on your own doesn’t mean you should be moving furniture on your own. No matter how strong you are, the size of certain items dictates you acquire help, or leave it to the experts.
- Comprise a game plan. Once your stuff is all moved in to your new home, it’s time to start placing furniture and unpacking those heavy boxes. If you need to relocate certain items to different areas of the house, be sure to think about where exactly the item is going to end up before you lift. The less time you are lugging these heavy items, the less your chances for being injured.
Urban farming is on the rise, and that means that your city neighbor may be raising chickens or planting a rooftop garden. Some bigger city farm organizations may also be planting rows of crops for people to enjoy, or to help out inner city kids (as many cities currently do). While urban farming is great and really important, there are some aspects of the urban farm that a lot of people starting these outfits never consider prior to setting up shop.
One of the problems urban farmers that have large spaces face is how to handle farm equipment when it comes to making a move. Even the biggest rooftop farms have some kind of equipment, and moving anything of this sort requires a special hand and some definite expertise.
First: Work Out the Permits
You can’t simply throw a massive piece of farm machinery on a flatbed truck and head down the highway. In most cities, moving large pieces of equipment that can spill over into another lane requires a special permit. Find out if you need this permit before you move, or you could be looking at a hefty fine — and no farm equipment at your new place before you get that permit.
On the other hand, if you just want to drive a tractor down a road that’s not a highway, you can usually do so without a permit (but it’s still worth checking!). What if you want to tow a piece of equipment? Can you do this without a permit? The answer is that it depends on where you are towing. If you are towing on a major highway, then you need a permit. If you are towing on a side road, you probably don’t need a permit. Then again, you do need a permit for most things in any city, so keep this in mind. You may also want to buy some “Wide Load” signs just in case!
Next: Think about the Fragility
Some farm equipment is really fragile. If you have special water systems for your rooftop farm, or a very expensive piece of equipment that you have to be very careful to transport, you do not want to move these items haphazardly. It is highly recommended that you call movers in Boulder, CO if you plan to move farm equipment in this area. Professional movers will be able to tell you whether or not they can move fragile and expensive equipment, or whether you need a special kind of mover to help make this trip.
The benefit to hiring professionals is that a company that’s both insured and bonded is liable for any kind of move that they make. So, if your equipment winds up damaged in a move, you can simply go back to the company and claim any damages that way. Companies that specialize in these types of moves have insurance for these reasons.
Finally: What About Your Plants?
Plants of any kind are extremely fragile. If you’ve been working with and growing plants for some time now, you know just how picky they can be. Some plants might not appreciate a long move without proper care, and proper care means hiring movers with the right equipment to transport your plants without any harm being done to them. Once again, this kind of move requires a special team of movers that have experience handling fragile plants.
How You Can Prepare Your Longmont Movers
Even the most specialized of movers need instructions when it comes to something as important as transporting fragile plants or how to move certain equipment. It’s advisable that you have someone from your staff explain to your moving team how to accurately and precisely move equipment or plants from one location to the next. With proper care instructions, your plants and equipment can be moved without harm, and you can set up shop somewhere new with all of your important items in place.
It takes a lot to move a farm, which is why many farmers never move! But today’s urban farms move regularly due to space and other issues. Knowing how to move your equipment by getting the right permits and operating with a moving team that you can trust will make all the difference. As an experienced moving company in Fort Collins, Exodus Moving and Storage is ready for you if you need help moving your farm. To find out more about our services, call us today to schedule an appointment, or to ask us any questions that you may have.
You can also find us on Facebook if you want to connect with us there and ask questions on our Facebook page. You can trust the team at Exodus to move anything you have in mind expertly, on time, and right the first time!
There are a lot of things to think about while preparing for a move. Some of those things may not ever leave your mind, and this can result in many sleepless nights! An overactive mind is something that you can eventually tame, but it will take some know-how to quiet your mind down enough to actually sleep through the night.
As movers in Boulder CO, the Exodus team knows a thing or two about moving, and how to get enough sleep during a move. Here are some helpful tips to assist you with getting that needed sleep every day, so that you can prepare for your move with a clear and rested head.
The Trick to Napping
If you can’t quiet down your mind at first, you may feel exhausted during the daytime. A good way to get the energy you need to go all day long is to stop during the day and take a nap. But, there are tricks to napping. If you nap incorrectly, you may even find that you are more tired than you were when you started, and that defeats the purpose, right? Instead of winding up feeling awful after a nap (which happens to most people), keep these tips in mind.
- Trick yourself into falling asleep right away by sleeping on a bed pillow or putting something else around you that reminds you of nighttime sleep.
- Set your alarm clock for 20 minutes, and do not go over this time no matter how tired you are. Why? If you wake up during the deep stage of sleep, you will feel extremely fatigued. The trick is to wake up before you reach that stage, and that usually happens between 20-30 minutes. You may have to experiment with an alarm clock at first, but you’ll get the hang of it.
- Allow yourself to take the time out to nap. A lot of people feel guilty about napping, but you’ll wake feeling more refreshed than you did when you went to sleep. As a result, you will be more productive, and you will also think clearer. So, really, you should only feel guilty about not taking a nap!
Calming Your Mind at Night
Numerous studies have shown that playing with a phone or tablet before bedtime will keep you awake longer. The colors and screen intensity of a tablet or phone stimulate your brain, and this means that you will not sleep right away. So, the best way to begin sleeping properly is to ban any kind of device from your bedroom. Also, follow these tips:
- Try and do something calming before bed like meditate or go through a special bedtime routine.
- Use calming scents like lavender to soothe your body and mind.
- Try taking a hot bath before bed, and then jumping right into bed.
- Make sure that your room is completely dark, and that no light is allowed to enter into the room.
- If it helps, wear an eye mask or listen to white noise while you sleep.
It can be difficult to calm your mind when there are so many things to think about, that’s for sure, but you can learn to sleep during stressful times if you make the effort to focus on your sleep cycles. Try napping correctly, getting into a bedtime routine, and letting those thoughts that are in your mind move in and out without dwelling on any one thing. It will also help if you have a team of moving professionals to help you out with every aspect of your move — there will be a lot less things to think about!
Working With the Right Moving Team
Many national moving companies like Exodus Moving and Storage provide full services. What are full moving services? Things like packing, unpacking, moving everything, and even moving heavy pieces of furniture to new spots in your home home when the move is complete. A professional team can also handle any shipping requirements, and can help you move even the largest items from one spot to another.
If you can’t fit everything into your new space, you can also rely on a company like Exodus to rent you reliable and secure storage spaces. Having somewhere to put all of that stuff will take a load off of your mind, and that means more sleep for you! If you are looking for Johnston movers, call the Exodus Moving and Storage team today for more details, a free rate quote, and additional information about what we can do for you. In the meantime, focus on getting the sleep that you need to have a carefree move!
There are many different reasons to choose an apartment. You may have found a place that’s in a great location, is the right price, or is near to your office, but finding the best apartment for your situation doesn’t necessarily mean that the space you chose is bright or big or ideal when it comes to things like light and space.
Since you’re also somewhat limited when it comes to what you can actually change inside of your apartment (it’s hard to knock down walls without getting a few complaints from your landlord!), the best way to make your space look bigger and brighter is with some really helpful decorating tips.
If you’re looking for moving companies in Fort Collins, call Exodus Moving and Storage – but if you’re looking for some great ways to make your apartment look better on the cheap, check out the tips below.
Pick the right paint: if you live in a massive mansion with large walls and high ceilings, darker mustard yellow and brown colors might make sense and look appealing. If you’re trying to make a small apartment look bigger, though, you’ll want to go with light and white colors. As a general rule of thumb, brighter colors make a space look bigger.
Think about painting the floors too: this one might not be okay with your landlord, so make sure to ask first, but painting floors a bright white color can open up a space as well. Painting floors is not as simple as painting walls, though, so make sure to hire an expert to help you, or do your research first.
Go with minimalist furniture options: the best trick for making a space seem larger but still storing all of your things is to try and keep everything off of the floor as much as possible. By hanging shelves instead of putting bookshelves on the floor and keeping the furniture that is on the floor to pieces that are minimalist, you can really trick the eye into seeing a much bigger space.
Think about hanging some lights: is your bedroom space too small for floor or table lamps? You can always hang wall sconces to still give you the reading light that you need, but without all of that clutter that a table or floor lamp would create. The biggest mistake that people make when it comes to small bedroom spaces is placing large tables on either side of an already cramped bed – plus, you can buy a larger bed and frame if you move your stuff off of the floor.
Don’t go for heavy paintings or other dark decor: keep any artwork that you place inside of your home light and minimalist – or don’t use any art at all. There’s something to be said for the cleanliness of bare white walls, or rooms with shelves that are kept neat. Try and skip the artwork if you want a room that’s clean and clutter-free. Plus, no artwork means opening up a space, so that you can trick anyone into thinking that your room is bigger than it actually is.
Hiring Moving Companies in Fort Collins
Of course, before you get to your new apartment space to decorate it, you will have to find the right moving companies in Fort Collins to choose from. This is where Exodus Moving and Storage comes in. As a full service moving company, we know a thing or two about getting your stuff where it needs to go, and getting it there in good shape. Out of all the Denver moving companies out there, we pride ourselves on great customer satisfaction and working with you to make sure that your things are delivered on time all the time.
If you’ve been searching for Denver moving companies that can help you move anything you have to your new home, look no further than Exodus Moving and Storage. We also have storage space available in both Denver and Fort Collins, so make sure to ask us about our storage space availability and prices too!
Moving companies in Fort Collins like Exodus move people from all over the world to and from this area, so we’ve seen a lot of exhausted people post-flight, and we’ve also been on a lot of flights. Even though airline companies try to make flights as leisurely as possible, you can’t do much about the recycled dry air and other things happening on a flight that will cause you to look beyond terrible once you leave the plane.
As one of the top moving companies in Fort Collins, we thought we’d give you some in-flight beauty tips – so that you can feel as good as you did at the beginning of a flight when the flight ends.
- Do not wear heavy makeup on the plane. Your blush will run, your mascara will smudge, and your foundation will start feeling stuck mid-way. If you have to wear some makeup, keep it simple with just some smudge-proof mascara and maybe a bit of blush. Trust us, this is not the time to wear foundation.
- Make sure to have moisturizer on hand. Before the flight, moisturize with a thick moisturizer, and do the same during and after the flight. Your skin will be dried out from all of that stale air, and you’ll look much better if you moisturize properly.
- Keep your hair in mind, and add some leave-in conditioner to the ends of your hair before the flight. Also, try wrapping your hair up on top of your head before you leave, since leaving it down will result in a dry frizzy mess.
- Drink a ton of water. Did you know that Virgin flight attendants drink up to one liter of water while in-flight? Plus, they drink plenty of water before a flight to combat all that dryness.
- Bring some serum for your hair, you never know when you’ll need it – and most of us look like frizzy lions when exiting an airplane.
- Eat light. Most snacks on board an airplane are really salty. Go for the ones that are lower in salt to combat any bloating or other uncomfortable feelings induced by altitude.
- Avoid alcoholic drinks. It can be tempting to tip back a drink pre-flight and during your flight if you are a nervous flier, but try not to do this. Alcohol dehydrates you, so drinking alcohol means being extra dehydrated, and nobody needs that mid-flight.
- Try to get some sleep. If you have a really long flight that’s going to end with you unpacking a lot of boxes in your new home, getting a few Z’s is a good idea. Tip your head back, and enjoy soaring through the skies.
- When you do arrive at your destination, hydrate once again. You can never hydrate too much when it comes to flights, so don’t be afraid to drink too much water!
Finding Moving Companies in Fort Collins
When you do decide to move, you may need to find the best moving company for your needs, and that’s where we come in. Exodus Moving and Storage is here for you with a free moving quote and plenty of staff members to help you move comfortably. Call us for your free moving quote today, or find us on Facebook!
And, remember, flying is all about keeping your skin hydrated with moisturizer and with water. Start drinking water the night before your flight, and make sure you moisturize the day before your flight. This way, you’ll leave the plane looking amazing. Do you have any great in-flight tips? Let us know what your tips are by leaving us a note here, or leave us a note on our Facebook page.
You did it – the move is over. The Denver moving companies were narrowed down and the chosen residential moving company has unloaded all of your boxes. Hopefully, you properly labeled all of your boxes so they ended up in the proper place!
Window CC Photo Courtesy of Szapucki
Did you remember to take an inventory of all of your boxes and items? Did you take it one step further, numbering boxes so that you know exactly what is inside each box? Nothing is worse than wanting to cook a meal in your new home and having to go through a zillion boxes just to find the dishes to eat off of!
While the packing process can be just as undesirable as going through the list of Denver moving companies in the hopes of selecting the perfect one for your needs, the unpacking process is typically something people enjoy. However, this doesn’t apply to everyone. If you’re one of those people that detests unpacking, someone who wishes there were a magic wand you could wave and everything would magically be in the place it belongs, here’s a handy guide to making the unpacking process as painless as possible.
It All Starts Before You Pack!
As mentioned above, the key to pain-free unpacking is to better organize everything and document it prior to having the moving company in Denver load your boxes onto the moving truck. It requires a bit more during the packing process, but you’ll be glad that you did it when you are unpacking!
Start by taking an inventory of the contents of the boxes. Sure, you could mark the boxes intended for the kitchen with a “K,” but when you have a pile of twenty boxes in the kitchen of the new home, how do you know what’s inside those boxes? You can more quickly fill those cabinets when you take a systematic approach to packing.
For example, everyone has an order to their cabinets. In my home, dishware is placed in one cabinet, glassware and anything you can drink out of in another. If you inventory the boxes, you can make quick work of filling that dishware cabinet, armed with a list of what is inside each and every box. No more jumping from cabinet to cabinet as you unpack, or making piles of stuff on the counters.
This also highlights the need to pack in an organized fashion. Don’t mix your pantry goods with your dishware or anything like that. Try to keep things together that belong together in the cabinets and drawers, and the unpacking process is made much more simple!
One very important thing to remember is packing a box labeled “Essentials.” This box should contain anything and everything you might need on your first night in the new place. This is especially helpful if you happen to be arriving at night, or if you have children. In this way, you aren’t scrambling from box to box looking for pajamas, toothbrushes, and counter top cleaner, or whatever else you might need immediately.
Start With One Room And Go From There
Before you delegate assignments to the members of your family, you should be sure that all of the furniture is where you want it. You don’t want the kids to fill their bureaus just to wind up moving that bureau later on.
If you have children, send them off to start unpacking their own rooms and choose just one room to get started on. Many prefer the kitchen, while others choose the living room. Be sure you follow suit. This offers your family a place to rest, grab a snack, or meet up at the end of the day that isn’t full of unpacked boxes. It will allow everyone to de-stress, and they’ll appreciate that! Most people choose the kitchen, and this is a great place to start – the sooner the kitchen is in order, the sooner you can start preparing real meals instead of relying on take out!
The bathroom is a logical second choice, mainly because people will want to shower, wash up, and everything else one does in the bathroom. While you had your medications, toothbrushes, etc in your Essentials box, you’ll need to unpack towels, the shower curtain, and other items so that people can clean up in the shower after a long, sweaty day of unpacking.
Moving is stressful in and of itself – selecting moving companies in Denver, choosing what to part with, packing, closing on a new home – don’t make it worse by insisting all boxes must be unpacked as quickly as possible. Take your time, it is not a race! As long as the essentials are taken care of, that is all that you need.
In your Denver moving companies search, you’ll find that Exodus Moving & Storage can make the actual move simple and stress-free. Give us a call today!
There are two ways to move a closet full of clothes. You can remove everything from its respective hanger, and place both the clothes and the hangers in boxes. Or, you can simply move all hanging clothes with the hanger still attached. We recommend the later, since it takes up a lot less space, is simpler to do, and your clothes will be ready to be hung when you arrive at your new destination.
Clothes CC Photo Courtesy of Lara604
Here’s how to hang your clothes without removing the hanger from your Fort Collins movers.
You Will Need:
2. Regular garbage bag
3. Clothes on hangers
To Move With Success:
1. Leave the clothes hanging in your closet.
2. Open the trash bag, and place the bottom of the bag around the clothes, so that all clothes are inside of the bag (leave the hanger tops poking out of the bag).
3. Tie off the end of the bag once it is securely over the pile of clothes.
4. Carefully remove the entire batch from your closet.
From there, you can simply move the entire bag of clothes from your current home to your new home quickly and simple. Best of all, when you get to yoru new home, all you have to do is hang the clothes, and remove the garbage bag. How simple is that?
Other Fun Moving Tips
As your Fort Collins movers, we’ve seen a lot of different moving tips and tricks. Here are a few that we think will make your job packing up your home simpler.
– Tape screws and nails to the backs of anything that hangs – whether its a mirror or a clock, having all the hardware in place makes things easier.
– Label everything clearly. Place room labels on all items, so that you (and your Fort Collins movers) will know where to put all of those boxes.
– Move pets and plants first: anything that could be hard to move or might cause some trauma (like moving a pet) should be brought to your new home first. This way, you don’t have to worry about upsetting a pet or tipping over a plant during the move.
– Make moving fun. Consider playing games when you pack, turning the whole trip into a fun game, or stocking up on road games to play during the move.
– Prepare in advance. Perhaps one of the best tips we can give you is to prepare for your move in advance, so that you aren’t scrambling at the last minute.
– Work with experienced movers. As your Fort Collins movers, we will make sure that we are on time, that all things are moved expertly, and that you know all of the details well in advance.
Working With Us
Call Exodus today for a free moving estimate. We promise that our moving estimate will be accurate, and that we will deliver on what we promise. In addition to a moving estimate, we can also provide you with storage quotes for either one of our storage facilities in either Fort Collins or Denver. Call us today for storage rental information.
Whether you’re looking for a long distance moving company or a company to help you move locally, we can help. Find us on Facebook for more information about our long distance moving company services, or to ask us anything!
CC Photo Courtesy of Ian Turton
If you’ve just found the perfect home, you may be wondering whether or not the alarm system that currently exists inside of that home is safe. After all, the prior owners know where the house is armed, how it’s armed, and what the existing codes are. But, you shouldn’t scratch a home off of your list just because of an existing alarm. Follow these tips instead.
1. Call the alarm company, and explain that you are the new owner of the home. This way, the company can change codes, tell you what else you need to change, and go through a complete walkthrough of your home with you.
2. Ask the previous owners about any prior break-ins. If there are some holes in the existing security plan, you’ll want to be sure to patch those as soon as possible.
3. Consider the age of the alarm system. If the system is old, you may want to replace it entirely. If it’s new, an upgrade might still be a good idea.
4. Change the codes right away – you should change the home keys too, just to be safe. You never know who might have the current keys or codes (friends, neighbors, relatives), so change everything to be sure that nobody will walk in when you’re home alone!
Questions to Ask
Aside from finding out whether or not the home has been burglarized before, you’ll want to find out where all the alarm systems are located throughout the house, if any doors have been reinforced, and other details. If the alarm is particularly complex, ask the previous owner how to use the alarm, what quirks might happen, and whether or not things like dogs or cats set off the alarm.
Houses are sold with alarm systems every day, and new homeowners never have any problems – but it never hurts to be safe. So, make sure to go through the tips listed above, and find out all you can about a system that already exists. Also, don’t feel as though you have to stick with the alarm system or the company that was pre-chosen. You can always mix things up by buying a different alarm, or working with a new company. The idea is to make sure that you feel safe in your new surroundings, and that can only happen if you know how your home is protected inside and out.
Getting to Know Your New Town
There’s nothing like exploring a new town, but before you move check out the statistics. Find out if the neighborhood you’re looking at is safe, what the percentages are, and how many homes in your area have been broken into. A lot of these details are available online, through real estate agent offices, and elsewhere, and you never can be too safe.
When it comes to getting to your new Colorado town, Exodus Moving and Storage is the moving company to call. We offer full-service moving solutions and free estimates, so you can sit back and get ready to enjoy the new town that you are about to call home. We’ve also compiled a few details about moving to a new place on this blog, and you’ll find plenty of information about other things too – like the best fairs in Colorad.
If you do have any questions about Exodus Moving and Storage or want to get a free estimate, make sure to give us a call, or “like” us on Facebook to see our updates and learn more about this great state. Remember, when it comes to moving into a house with an old alarm system, making sure that everything is safe is the most important thing to do – take it from your friends at Exodus Moving and Storage!