It is unfortunate that scam movers take over the moving industry. By following a few steps, you can have the advantage of spotting them before they take your stuff and run. Here are some pointers on how to avoid getting scammed:
- Be wary of radical estimates. Estimates too high or too low should not be trusted, and when it seems too good to be true, it probably is.
- Get everything in writing! If you don’t have anything in writing there is no way to be sure that your given estimate will be honored.
- Avoid companies that only accept cash or large deposits
- Find out if the company is on the American Moving and Storage Association of blacklist scammers
- Avoid doing business with moving companies who do not have a physical address or licensing information on their website
The best way to find a legit moving company is through word of mouth or other local resources. Good sense and judgment should be used whenever you hire any company to do service for you. It is in your best interest to take extra precautions because they are packing up everything you own, stuffing it in a truck for a cross country trek.