How to Store a Boat
As the warmer weather draws to a close, you might be wondering what to do with your boat – or how to store your boat if you’re moving to a new place during the fall season. At Exodus Moving and Storage, we offer storage space in both Denver and Fort Collins, and our larger spaces can accommodate a boat, so make sure to ask.
But we want to be certain that you store your boat properly, too. This way, you can forget all about your boat during the winter months, and simply enjoy all of the snow-filled fun that Colorado has to offer.
Here are some tips from your Colorado moving company on how to properly store a boat.
1. If you have a smaller boat, the best way to store it is up on some kind of lift (like cinder blocks), and upside down. That’s right, flip your boat upside down for really good storage. But, obviously, you can’t do this with a much larger boat.
2. Boats that are bigger than 20 feet long can be stored inside of a storage unit, or by attaching the boat to a trailer, and parking the entire thing inside of a storage unit. If you don’t’ have a garage, the storage units from your Colorado moving company will work just as well – and your boat will be protected from the elements (although we do recommend covering the boat if possible).
3. For very large boats, you may find that your boat won’t fit into a storage unit. In this case, it is better to contact a marina, and make sure that your boat is covered, sealed, and stored properly.
What to Ask At the Marina
You probably paid a lot for your boat, right? That means that you’ll want to take every precaution to protect your investment. Before you choose a marina, ask the following key questions.
1. How will my boat be stored?
2. What kind of wrapping will be used to seal the boat?
3. What happens if my boat is stored outside, and weather damage occurs?
4. Do you have enough space to store my boat inside?
If possible, storing a boat indoors is always best, but that’s not always a possibility when it comes to a marina full of yachts. However, you can check around to make sure that you choose the best and most responsible boatyard. Otherwise, you may end up with boat storage that doesn’t cover the basic elements, and that could mean a disaster for you.
Keep in mind, too, that your insurance might not cover damages if your boat hasn’t been stored properly, so look into those details before deciding how to store your boat.
Moving Your Boat
As your Colorado moving company, we can help you move any boat of any size from your current location to your new one. If you do want to rent out a storage space in order to keep your boat safe during the winter months, we can help you with that too. Ask us about our storage spaces, rental sizes, and prices. In addition to properly storing your boat, we also recommend that you thoroughly clean your boat before storage – this way, your boat will be ready to roll by the time next summer rolls around.
How do you store your boat? Let us know by leaving a note on this blog, or by leaving a comment on our Facebook page. Either way, we will get back to you quickly with a response, and we’d love to hear how you go about storing your boat for the winter. In the meantime, if you need a long distance moving company, contact Exodus today – we are both a long distance moving company and a short distance company.