Exodus Moving & Storage is proud to have rolled out a brand new social media effort that will be aiding all of our faithful followers with moving tips, ways to give back in the community and spotlights of different areas in beautiful Colorado.
In honor of this week’s first “Smooth Your Move- Moving Tips Tuesday,” we want to take the opportunity to help prepare you for your New Year moves. Let 2012 be the year you resolve to organize yourself and get you and your belongings moved safely and smoothly from point A to point B.
Here are a few great tips we tell our customers all the time to help them get ready for their move:
- Think Weight
- Pack all of your boxes full to the top and tape them shut. But in the case of heavier items such as books, we recommend using smaller boxes that can still be manageably lifted.
- Be Careful
- Make sure to carefully wrap glass containers. China and glassware should be in boxes clearly marked “FRAGILE.”
- Create a Moving Box System
- Mark what is in each box and in which room you want each box to go. This will help your movers to be more efficient while unloading and save you time and hassle.
- Use Your Trash Cans
- Cleaning out trash cans and filling them with miscellaneous garden tools can minimize your packing efforts.
- Don’t Use Post-Its
- Post-It® Notes fall off. Remind yourself and your movers where things should go by using labels instead.
- Be Vertical
- When packing, pack your items vertically.
Even if you aren’t planning to relocate any time in the near future, here are a few ways to get your 2012 as organized as possible with some storage tips:
- Make Decisions
- Many personal garages, warehouses and various local storage facilities are filled with things being saved for a “rainy day”. It is easy to fill a storage space with useless items. But the key to an organized space, and life, is to let go of the things you simply don’t need any more. If it’s not a keepsake for family memory, an important set of documents or some other important thing that will be used within the next year, it may be time to let it go.
- Sell or Donate
- Before you store, have a yard sale, put some things on eBay or find some charities to support with your donations such as Goodwill or the American Red Cross.
- Create a Solid System
- We recommend numbering as well as color coding your boxes before you store them. Assign a color to each room of your home or each office functionality (example: kitchen or accounting). The number allows you to use the box again without crossed-out markings all over the box. Keep an indexed list of what is in each numbered box along with the color allocations. The more detailed the indexed list, the more you will appreciate it when you need to find that extra fax machine 2 months from now.
- Pack Light
- Make sure to only fill your boxes to a maximum weight that you can comfortably move by yourself. This will help you to avoid having to recruit friends or colleagues to help out in the future when you need to get something out of storage.
For more Colorado moving tips like these, visit http://www.exodusmoving.com/storage-tips/