Moving Checklist Guide
There’s so much to do before you move, where do you start? One good way to make sure that everything is ready to go is to create a handy checklist. Go through this list at weekly intervals, and you’ll get everything done on time.
Two Months Before
1. Go through all of your items and get rid of stuff you don’t need.
2. Start looking for moving companies
3. Make sure that you check safes, gather up school records (for children), and any prescriptions or other medical documents.
Five Weeks Before
1. Get lots of boxes, bags, and labels
2. If you have a huge freezer, start eating!
3. Begin packing some smaller items that you do not use regularly.
4. Measure things in your old home to see if they will fit in your new home.
One Month Before
1. Get estimates from movers in writing.
2. Choose the mover you want to work with.
3. Read over contracts and ask questions.
4. Label everything.
5. Let people know that you’re moving.
6. Request a change of address.
7. Carefully pack up valuables.
8. Arrange a babysitter or pet sitter for your kids or pets on the day of the move.
9. Figure out how to move indoor plants.
One Week Before
1. Clear your schedule for the week, so that you can pack last minute items or make last minute arrangements without panic.
2. Check bank deposit boxes for valuables.
3. Finalize moving company arrival times and arrangements.
4. Refill any necessary prescriptions.
5. Pack an overnight bag that you can bring with you in your car.
A Few Days Before
1. Defrost your refrigerator.
2. Patch up any housework that you need to complete before you move.
3. Pay your moving deposit (as detailed in your contract).
4. Triple check to make sure that you have done everything you need to do.
5. Confirm with your moving company.
The Day Of the Move
1. Wake up early and make sure that everything is in place.
2. Call your moving company to confirm that the movers are on time.
3. Bring kids and pets to other locations for the day.
4. Sit back and let your professional movers take care of you!
Working With Exodus Moving and Storage
Full service moving companies like Exodus are here to help you with your move from start to finish. The above checklist should be a great guide when it comes to getting everything done, and we recommend printing that list out and using it as an actual checklist until the day of your move arrives. Rest assured that we have a list of our own and we’re checking our list regularly to make sure that your move goes off without a hitch.
Since we’ve been moving both people and companies for so long, we are experts at what we do. If you have any questions about how to move something, what things you should (or shouldn’t) move, or anything else, just let us know. Sometimes, it helps to plan things around a list to settle the nerves, and to make sure that you get everything done before you move.
But, don’t worry too much – anything that you have forgotten to do can usually be done from a distance too. Thanks to the Internet, most things can be arranged on the fly, and we’re happy to help you figure things out as well, just ask.
Most Important Things to Remember
If you have small children, the most important thing to remember is to transfer school files. You may also want to bring your kids to the new school prior to moving day. This way, your child will be familiar with the new school before the move. No kids? There are still things to think about that are very important.
If you are taking any prescriptions currently, it’s always a good idea to fill those before you move. Why? You never know how long it might take a new pharmacist to get your records straight, or to find a new doctor, or to have the time to get your meds. You may also want to ask any current doctor you’re seeing for a recommendation, so that you can find a new doctor in your new town.
There’s a lot to think about when it’s time to move, but using that list above will really help out! Plus, we can promise you an absolutely smooth move when you work with us. In fact, we make moving fun! As stated above, though, there’s never really anything to panic about when you move – everything can be taken care of no matter where you are! So, sit back and enjoy your move – the adventure is about to begin!