Moving Alone: Some Tips
Maybe you’re ready for some new scenery, or maybe you’ve found a great job in a different town. No matter what the reason you have for leaving your current town, moving to a new place alone can be rough. It can also be a really amazing adventure. Just think about it this way – moving on your own means no rules, no real commitments, and taking the time to completely discover yourself. Here are some of our top tips on how to move to a new place all by yourself – and love it.
- Figure out where you are going to go. A lot of people are moving to Fort Collins because it’s an ideal place to live, but you may have some other options too. Making a list of pros and cons and the areas you are considering is a great way to narrow down your choices. You may also want to think about how far away from friends and family members you want to be. If you want to visit people every major holiday, moving to Australia might not make those plans possible.
- Look for a place to stay. A lot of people that move to a new city test the waters first. For example, if you are moving to Fort Collins, you may try to find an apartment to rent or someone to stay with while you check out the town, try to get your bearings, figure out what you will do for work, and just see whether or not you actually like the area. From there, you can decide if moving to Fort Collins is for you. So, start by finding a place to stay. If you are moving for work purposes, though, start looking for a permanent housing option before you move.
- Try to familiarize yourself with some basic routes, maps, and neighborhoods. If you have the time before you move, take a good look at some maps and read up on areas that you might want to visit. This is a good idea just in case your phone or other items aren’t working when you arrive in the new area.
- Start experimenting. Once you arrive in a new city, everything that you see and do will be new and strange and somewhat off putting. You’ll have to find new stores, new cafes, and new places to hang out. How do you know which places to go to? Check out everything, experience everything, and see all that you can see. When you wake up the next day, do it all over again! The idea here is to see what you like and what you don’t like.
- Learn to like hanging out with yourself. It can be a bit strange to eat by yourself or go to a public place alone, but once you learn to become comfortable spending time with yourself, you will meet other people – and if you don’t meet others right away, that’s okay.
- Talk to people. Don’t be the creepy guy in the park asking random people random things, but get into the habit of talking to the cafe owner every morning, or asking some people that you meet where to go and what to do. If you explain that you are new in town, you’ll probably make some new friends quickly. You can also check out sites like Meetup.com to find people with similar interests.
- Join a few things. Whatever it is that you like to do, start doing it in your new town too. Find a book club, dinner club, French club, whatever it is. There are plenty of ways to connect with groups through the Internet.
Hiring a Long Distance Moving Company
If you are thinking about moving to a new city, you may need to hire a long distance moving company, which is where Exodus Moving and Storage comes in. We can help you move here or anywhere – just call us to set up an appointment, or to find out more about how we operate. You can also find us on Facebook!
Trackback from your site.