The Kids Are Moving to College: Now What?
If your kids are moving to Fort Collins to attend college or anywhere else in the world, you may be feeling sad and full of anxious feelings. Relax, these feelings are perfectly normal! Plus, there are things that you can do before your kids leave to feel better about the whole move.
Here’s some help from Exodus Moving and Storage when it comes to facing an empty home for the first time.
1. Book some time with your child: spend some time alone with your kid prior to the big college move. If you don’t have any time before the move, book a family vacation or other event during a holiday when your child will return home – maybe a thanksgiving vacation is in order this year!
2. Make sure that your child spends an adequate amount of time with his or her siblings too. If your kids will be separated for a year, it’s important that they get quality time with each other.
3. Consider purchasing a special gift for your grad. Going away to college is a hard thing to do, and your child will feel isolated and lonely at first. Buying him or her something cozy and warm to remember you by is a really good way to make them feel secure, even when they are far away.
4. Prepare yourself for some quiet and free time. It may be a good idea to sign up for a few classes, find some things to do, and occupy your time now that your home will be relatively empty.
5. Spend some time with your partner. If you are married, look ahead to the days without your child as an opportunity to date your husband or wife, and to have some fun. If you’re not married, now you will have the time to date someone new, or explore the dating scene a bit.
6. Get a hobby. Find something that you love to do and start doing that thing. Otherwise, the days will seem endless and stretch on without something to occupy your time.
7. Connect with other parents: it helps to speak to other people going through the same thing!
Preparing Your Child for College Life
Before moving to Fort Collins or any other place, your child should have some basic life skills. Things like teaching your kid how to do the laundry, use a bank machine, and cook some meals are all important and essential. Otherwise, your child will be lost – but, then again, you’re just a phone call away, so make sure that your child knows you are never too far away.
If you are trying to prepare your child for moving to Fort Collins or anywhere else, consider hiring movers to help. As Loveland movers, Exodus Moving and Storage has moved plenty of college students to many different areas, and we’re happy to be your Loveland Movers too. Call Exodus Moving and Storage today for a free quote, or for additional information about how we can help your child move to his or her new college home.
Trackback from your site.