It has long been known that living a sedentary lifestyle can put people at a greater risk for Type II Diabetes and for developing heart disease. But, moving throughout the day is also important for your mental well-being. Staying confined to a desk or sitting down all day long is hard on your body.
While we typically focus on moving things like boxes as your Boulder movers, Exodus Moving and Storage is all about your well-being in all aspects of life, so here are a few different kinds of moving tips for you to check out!
How to Move At Work
Many workplaces are a lot better than they were in past years where exercise is concerned. Some offices provide employees with desks that can be raised (so that employees can stand up while working), and other offices give employees discounts on neighborhood gyms and exercise programs. But if you happen to work in a place that doesn’t do any of these things, you can still make an effort to move during the day while you are at work.
1. Stand up and stretch in all directions: bend down and touch your toes, reach for the sky, do a few air squats, and move your arms all around – sure, people might look at you funny at first, but we’re betting your colleagues soon join in the fun.
2. Go outside during your lunch break. Many of us have formed the bad habit of eating at our desks. While it might seem like eating lunch at your desk is the best and fastest way to get through that stack of work, the truth is that getting up and walking around outside will help you generate a creative spark much better and faster than sitting at a desk all day.
3. Make your break time exercise time. Bring running shoes to your office, and go for a run or walk during any break that you have. All it take is fifteen minutes of fresh air and sunshine to feel better and gain energy.
4. Start a sports program at work. Company teams are a lot of fun, so why not start one?
5. Try squatting at your desk instead of sitting in a chair. Take ten minutes, remove your chair, and just sit in a squat – your quadraceps will thank you, and your whole core will feel tighter as a result.
Why Moving Matters
Humans weren’t meant to sit at desks all day (really!), and our bodies can take a real beating when we are forced to sit down all day and stare at a screen. Not only does a sedentary lifestyle lead to things like high blood pressure and diabetes, but your muscles can start to cramp up and your mind can become fatigued just by sitting down all day long. It can be hard to get used to moving regularly at first (if you aren’t used to it), but five to ten minutes per day is all it takes. Once you get into moving on a regular basis, you’ll crave those minutes!
If you need help moving things like furniture and boxes, that’s where Exodus Moving and Storage can really lend a hand. Our Boulder movers will get your stuff where it needs to go quickly and expertly, and you can count on our Boulder moving company to be there when you expect us. Call our team of Boulder movers today for a quote or additional information, and see why our Boulder moving company is loved by all of our clients.
You can also find Exodus Moving and Storage on Facebook – we look forward to connecting with you there too. In the meantime, get up and move!