If you are moving to the United States from another country, there are many great things to look forward to – and some things that you just won’t expect! Take a look at this fun list.
1. Portion sizes are much bigger in the U.S. than in most other parts of the world. You may be shocked at the size of restaurant plates you get when you first move, but you’ll appreciate those larger portions eventually (and come to expect such sizes!).
2. Credit scores are important. The credit rating system in the U.S. is not like systems elsewhere – you need to have a good credit score, and that score is based on your ability to obtain and maintain credit. This system can be confusing at first!
3. You will see American flags throughout most cities, towns, and on many front lawns.
4. Customer services goes above and beyond. Sales people in stores are more than willing to help you find anything that you need, so just ask!
5. Mega stores like Walmart Super Centers are full of items that you can buy for a very small price – stock up!
6. Fitness is important. You will see runners, hikers, walkers, yogis, and plenty of other sports enthusiasts outside on a regular basis. You will also see countless gyms strewn throughout most cities and towns.
7. Football rules – and, no, I’m not talking about soccer! In the U.S. football season is huge, so pick a team and start getting into the game.
8. Sweet things. A lot of foods contain sweeteners like bar-b-que sauce on ribs or sweetened salmon filets. Desserts are sweet too, of course!
9. Most people travel by car here, and most families have one or two cars. In some cities, walking is the way to go (like New York City!), but cars are still more popular in many towns than public transportation.
10. Public transportation in smaller towns can be non-existent, so you will need that car!
11. Most people do not carry cash. Everywhere you go in the U.S. (almost), you can pay with some kind of a card. Whether it’s a debit or credit card, it’s rare to find a retailer that doesn’t take some type of card as a form of payment, so don’t worry about carrying cash!
12. Nature is important – especially in Colorado. The U.S. (as a country and as a whole) takes great care when it comes to preserving nature, and keeping state parks clean and debris free. Enjoy hiking trails and mountaintops, but make sure to put your trash in its place.
13. The U.S. is big! Some states are the same size as whole countries in other parts of the world, and it will take some time to drive across the U.S. (but it’s a fun adventure).
Getting Here Is Easy
If you have a working visa or some other kind of visa, getting to Colorado is simple with the help of Exodus Moving and Storage, your Colorado moving company. We offer full service moving help from moving long distance to packing up your things to getting that large piece of furniture through the door. We also have large storage spaces in both Fort Collins and Denver, so you can store anything that you can’t move into your new place with the help of your Colorado moving company.
You will find many differences between your currently country and the U.S., and our advice is to relish those things, and enjoy the experience! The United States is like no other country on earth, and that can be a very good thing. We know that you will love this country, and we also know that you will love Colorado. Give us a call today for moving details about your Colorado moving company, and additional information about moving long distance that you want to know!