Decluttering: Getting Rid of Old Cosmetics
At Exodus Moving and Storage, we want to help you with all aspects of moving from packing and unpacking to getting where you need to go. One part of moving is uncluttering your home before you start packing, and that can mean (for the ladies!) getting rid of some old cosmetics.
If you haven’t gone through your cosmetics in a while, there’s no better time to do so than right before you move – why bother moving a bunch of stuff that you really don’t need anymore, or just isn’t good? After all, the residential moving companies that you are going to call will have one less thing to move if you get rid of some stuff!
Here are some of our best tips for getting rid of old makeup, creams, and other things!
- Mascaras and eyeliners that are more than six months old should just be tossed out. You can save one clean brush from a mascara tube for your eyebrows (a really cheap way of repurposing the brush for an eyebrow comb!), but the rest of those tubes should be thrown out.
- Lip glosses and liners that are more than one year old should be thrown out. Lipstick is up to you – typically, lipstick that is more than a year old can be thrown out too, but few of us use entire tubes of lipstick that are vivid or for special occasions in one year, so you can hang onto those as long as they are in good shape.
- Pressed powder doesn’t last more than two years – if it has started to crack and cake, it’s time to toss it.
- Eyeshadow tends to last longer, so you can hang onto this unless you hate the color, and then you should just toss it. (Then why did you buy it in the first place?)
- Nail polish will start to separate and look really strange after about a year, so you may want to get rid of any polish when this begins to happen. Take a good look at your nail polish collection, and just get rid of those things that don’t look all that appealing.
- Any kind of liquid foundation shouldn’t be kept past three years. If you have some older foundation that you’re still hanging onto, it’s probably going to make your face break out! So, get rid of that liquid foundation if it has surpassed its shelf life (tip: keep foundations in the refrigerator for longer shelf life!).
- Sponges: really, don’t keep any sponges for more than a week. After one week, makeup sponges simply start to gather bacteria, and that’s definitely not good for your complexion!
- Perfumes: experts say that most perfumes start to lose their scent after one year, but if you’ve spent a lot of money on a perfume bottle, nobody can blame you for keeping it longer than that period of time. Instead, just throw away perfume that no longer smells the same or has lost its scent completely.
When to Toss
We all buy makeup that we never wear. Sometimes its a strange shade that we thought we loved but really didn’t, and sometimes we just never wind up wearing what we bought (because everything looks better in that huge makeup store, right?). Either way, getting rid of any makeup that you just don’t wear makes sense. You don’t have to throw it away if you have someone to give it to (would your friend, sister, or mother like those things that you no longer like?), or you can simply put it in the recycling.
Taking the time to go through all of your cosmetics is a really good way to clean up your makeup bag before you move, and this way you will have less to move (and more room to add stuff to your bag!). While we can’t help you with makeup, we can help you when it comes to moving boxes, packing, unpacking, and even storage. Exodus Moving and Storage is one of the top residential moving companies with storage space in both Fort Collins and Denver that you can rent and use, so give Exodus Moving and Storage a call today.