If you’re moving to Fort Collins to attend college, you’ve probably heard of the legendary “Freshman 15.” The sad truth is that those fifteen pounds are very real, and you will probably gain a bit of weight when you do move into your dorm room for the first time. But, there are some ways to avoid gaining those fifteen pounds too. Here are a few tips to live by before moving to Fort Collins!
1. Use the free gym. Most schools have a free gym that’s available to all students, and most Freshman never go to that gym! But, making sure that you workout three to four times per week will help you keep those pounds down – and you never know who you’ll meet while running on the treadmill!
2. Sign up for a class in town. Moving to Fort Collins means having a ton of different exercise and yoga class options at your fingertips. Get a membership at a class in town, and spend some time mellowing out while exercising.
3. Skip the late night eats. This one will be really hard to do because it’s fairly unavoidable to skip going for late night food – your friends will want to do it, and so will you. Late night munchies are a right of any college student, but try and make some healthier choice (no, pizza and chicken fingers aren’t a healthy choice!).
4. Stick with drinks that are low in calories, and don’t consume a ton of those low-calorie drinks. Beer probably isn’t the best thing to drink if you’re watching your weight, so find out what is.
5. Try to eat whole and real foods whenever you can. Eating at the dining hall means eating a lot of processed food. Look for vegetable sticks, hit up that salad bar (skip the dressing), and stock up on protein bars that you can use as meal replacers.
6. Get a blender and a freezer. Sometimes, all you really need is a healthy smoothie or protein shake. A blender and a freezer will do the trick.
7. Learn to run. Grab your phone, an armband, and your running shoes, and hit the roads around your school. Just going for a few runs per week will help you keep those pounds off.
8. Stay active. If you were active in high school, stay active by joining a team at your college – even if it’s not a really good team or an official team, you can still join and run around a bit.
9. Be conscious of what you’re consuming. If you plan to go out at night, eat lighter meals during the day, hit the gym, and get in a run.
10. Get enough sleep. Did you know that not sleeping enough can contribute to weight gain? It might be hard to get enough sleep when your schedule is so packed, but try and get your beauty rest every night – your body will thank you.
Help From Your Boulder Moving Company
Another thing that can contribute to weight gain is stress. Your classes and social life will be stressful enough, so don’t add in a difficult move on top of that stress. If you need help bringing anything from your old home to your new dorm room, call us today. As a Boulder moving company, we can help you move anything you have to your new college campus.
You can also follow us on Facebook for more tips from your Boulder moving company – we look forward to being social with you!