There’s nothing quite like the excitement that surrounds moving into a new home. Before you move in, though, there are a few things that you should do. Take a look at this list of things to prepare before you move that first box!
1. Change all the exterior locks. The probability of the old homeowner coming in and trying to rob you is slim to none. But, you never know who had a key at one point. Take the time to change all of the exterior locks on your new home, so that you can move in without worrying about whether or not there’s a key to your house somewhere!
2. Paint large surfaces. Areas like walls and ceilings should be painted before you move in. Painting a home can take a lot of time, so it’s best to get it done before you make the move. If you want to save time, hire professionals to paint the space for you.
3. Hire a cleaning crew. Sure, the previous homeowner cleaned up your new home. But, a good scrub down is the best way to ensure that all of the bits and pieces that previous owner might have missed are cleaned and put away. Plus, moving into a home that smells clean and new is just part of the overall experience!
4. Have your heating and cooling systems cleaned. This is another job for professionals, but it will be worth it. You may as well have these systems cleaned when the house is empty – it will be a lot harder to clean any space in your home once you have moved in!
5. Put up some shades. A home that doesn’t have any shades or curtains is a home that anyone can look into. You don’t want to show the neighborhood that the home is empty for safety reasons, and it’s nice to have some privacy when you move in, right? Put something up on your windows when you move in, or see if the home you are purchasing includes these items (most of the time, previous owners will add curtains and fixtures to the overall price of the home).
Moving Into Your New Place
After you get all of those big things out of the way, the only thing you have to do is move your stuff. Moving companies that offer full service solutions are the way to go when it is time to move. These companies can help you pack, move, and get set up in your new home. Once you have moved, you’ll probably see a lot more thing inside of that new space that need some work.
Don’t worry, though, you have plenty of time to make sure that the rest of your home is in top shape. The important thing is to paint large spaces, conduct a thorough cleaning, and make sure that you have a bit of privacy when you move in. Not only will this make moving day nice for you, but it’s also the ideal way to make sure that you’re somewhat setup when your neighbors stop by!
Moving To Fort Collins
We’d love to help you move to Fort Collins, Denver, or any of the surrounding areas. At Exodus Moving and Storage, we offer full service moving solutions. Whether you are moving a massive home or just a few boxes, we can help. We also have large storage facilities in both areas that can safely accommodate anything you don’t want to bring with you.
Call us today to ask about our services, get a free estimate, or find out what we can do for you. You’ll find that Colorado is full of excellent painting and cleaning companies too, so make sure to take advantage of what your new town has to offer. Moving day is an exciting day full of a new home and new possibilities – what could be better? With just a bit of prep work, your home will be completely ready to move into.
What did you do when you moved into your new home? Do you have any tips or advice for other people that are about to move? Let us know what your thoughts are below, and make sure to call us today for all of your moving needs!