10 Green and Natural Ways to Spring Clean Your Home
Whether you’re moving into a new home or moving out of one, spring means cleaning. There are windows, floors, cabinets, closets, cupboards, and lots of other spaces to consider when that sunny weather rolls around. But you don’t have to use harsh chemicals to make your new place sparkle or stage your old home for eager buyers. There are lots of eco-friendly (and healthier) ways to make sure that your house shines this spring.
1. Vinegar: did you know that vinegar is a great window cleaner? Grab some newspaper, and mix a capful of vinegar into a few cups of cold water. If you have a spray bottle, even better! Just fill the bottle and spray the cleaner on your windows. Before you know it, you’ll have sparkling windows. Vinegar also works on any stainless material.
2. Donate: if you’re moving to Fort Collins or anywhere else, you’ll have to go through the piles of clothes that you have. If you haven’t worn an item in the past year, consider donating that item to a local charity – why throw clothes away when you can donate to someone in need? The same goes for any linen or other items that are in good shape but you no longer need.
3. Food pantry donations work too. If you have a lot of canned or boxed goods that are a month from expiring, and you don’t plan to use them, donate those items to a local food pantry. Someone out there will happily take your soups and other goods!
4. Bleach: you can use bleach to wipe down anything in your kitchen from refrigerator shelves to pantry shelves to your kitchen counters. Bleach is non-toxic, so it’s safe in the kitchen area, and it makes for a really clean space.
5. Offer to trade. If you have a friend that’s great at something you can’t do very well (like painting), offer to trade. Maybe you’re great at cleaning bathrooms or arranging cabinets. You can swap jobs to get every job done on time.
6. Minimize: if you have duplicate items or things you never really use, toss them. Why hang onto stuff that just doesn’t work for you anymore? Get rid of all those things you don’t need or use. You’ll have a cleaner home in no time.
7. Dust with a damp cloth: some warm water is all it really takes to get rid of dust. Just rub a damp cloth over surfaces to remove dust. Yep, it’s that simple!
8. Baking soda: scrub tiles and bathtubs with a bit of baking soda and water – it’s natural, chemical-free, and it works!
9. Olive oil: this stuff is great. You can use olive oil on your skin, on furniture, and anywhere else that needs some deep hydration.
10. Label and store: this tips is especially useful if you are moving. Purchase some large clear containers, label the containers, and store things in your new home in a clean and uncluttered way.
Need Help Moving?
If you love these tips but still need help moving, give us a call. Exodus Moving and Storage is a full service moving company. We also have storage facilities in both Fort Collins and Denver, so you can store anything you can’t move into your new home (great way to declutter too!). We have moved a lot of people over the years. We also move any industrial or office space, and that includes packing and unpacking. If you need help moving, make sure to call us.
We also want to know about your natural and green spring-cleaning tips. There are a lot of substances that you probably already have in your home that can clean your house top to bottom. The trick is to move through your house slowly, take your time, and really enjoy making everything sparkle. Spring-cleaning doesn’t have to mean rushing through cleaning and using harsh chemicals. Check out the tips listed above; see what you already have, what you can donate, and what ways you can save both your wallet and the environment when you clean this spring. And, remember, we’re here to help you move all of the things that you do decide to keep! Call us today for a free estimate, storage space details, and with any questions that you may have.